Thursday, January 1, 2015

Things Are Not Always As They Appear



Often, when I see someone who behaves or wears something that doesn't fit the standard for the human experience, I make hasty scenarios in my mind as to why they are doing what they are doing.  I think it is just the nature of man to pre-judge without knowing facts and circumstances.  I also think it's fun and entertaining to make those snap judgements.  I think today it was me providing the entertainment for someone else.

A few years ago the Venterans Administration provided me with hearing aids.  Years of sirens, rifles, handguns, and artillery had taken their toll on my hearing.  The hearing aids have blue tooth capability and I am able to talk hands free on my cell phone.  These days it is commonplace to see people walking or driving with a hand and phone up to their ear.  Using the blue tooth and talking through your ears is not as common.  In fact, when I see people walking around engaging in what appears to be conversation with themselves I raise my eyebrows a little.  

After finally retiring last July I decided to take up painting.  I use watercolor because I have no artistic talent and watercolor sometimes paints a picture on its own with more appeal than the painter could ever provide.  On those few occasions when the watercolors provide a winner on their own I take credit and call myself an artist.  I sign my pictures with my first two initials, last name, and a tiny cowboy hat as my logo.  I decided that I should wear Stetson hats as my trademark.  My wife has made some extraordinary wins on eBay providing me with nice fur felt hats that I steam and shape into the style that I like often copying cowboy movie styles.  

Today, I decided that I wanted to try painting with acrylic paints and told my wife that I was going to Walmart to get six tubes to start with.  My wife said that as long as I was going I should pick up a couple other items we needed.  The list was short and included three cans of Alpo for Ernest and a three pack of ladies Haines underwear.  My wife and I have been married for going on 44 years and there is not much that we haven't shared, (no, we don't share underwear) so her request wasn't out of the ordinary in my mind.  It is still below zero here, so I was dressed in craftsman lace up work boots, blue jeans, a brown leather bomber jacket with an NRA Benefactor Life Member patch on it and my newest used tan Stetson with a Montana Peak crown.  My wife called me as she often does in case there is an addition to the list.  I must have been an interesting sight pushing a grocery cart containing six tubes of acrylic paint, three cans of dog food, a three pack of ladies underwear, talking to myself, dressed as an urban cowboy. 






No, things are not always as they appear.  

Happy New Year Everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment